Do you want to install firmware to your phone through one of the means we listed in some of our post such as flashing phone through SP Flash Tool, flashing through Qualcomm flash image loaders and the rest of them and it didn’t work out for you? then this method might be what you need.
Flash through this method is little complex compared to others because any little mistake might lead it not to work at all so you have to be careful.
This method works most times with smartphones that run on Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset or customize chipsets like HiSilicon Kirin and Exynos.
So, when trying out this method, always check which one your phones runs on to know where to begin.
Requirements to Install Firmware to Android smartphone through fastboot
- Make sure to charge your phone above 50%.
- Enable USB on your smartphone(if it still on)
- A working USB Cord.
- Backup your content to a PC if possible.
- Some smartphones like Google, Xiaomi and some others would need you to unlock its bootloader before you can flash a ROM.
- Setup ADB fastboot and drivers on your PC.
After making sure all the requirements are met, you can proceed with installing the firmware to your phone.
Please note that we won’t be responsible for anything that might occur to your phone during the installation. You are to take responsibility for any harm that may come to your phone(if any). Remember, this will void your warranty with your dealer.
How to Install Firmware to Android smartphone through fastboot
- Download the right rom for your smartphone.
- Download and install ADB Fastboot drivers on your PC.
- Unzip all the downloaded files both firmware and drivers.
- In the folder where you extracted the ADB Fastboot, move the rom to the folder too.
- Open a new command prompt by pressing Left Shift + Right Click at the folder where you extracted those files.
- If there is no Open command prompt here option when right clicked on your PC, you can open the command prompt by typing CMD on your PC Search bar or fix the issue here.
- If you open CMD through search bar, note the CMD directory and copy your files to the directory or set your CMD Directory to match where your file is.
- The first thing to do is check if the CMD recognizes your phone. To do that, connect your phone to the PC and enter this command in CMD fastboot devices. You will see a response indicating little info about your phone, If that appears, you are good to go, if not, you need to properly install your ADB drivers.
- On your phone, press the volume down and Power button simultaneously till your phone boots to Recovery Mode as shown in the picture above.
- Now select Apply update from ADB.
- For roms that comes with installation script such as flash-all, run the script and the installation will begin.
- For those that don’t, you need to install them using CMD command prompt.
- You can start by typing this command fastboot flash romname.zip and send, for example, adb sideload crosshatch-pq2a.190205.001-factory-b72bfd04.zip
- The installation will begin. Wait for it to finish and when done, clear cache if necessary and reboot.
On the other hand, some phones rom installation comes as a rom update or let just say, there is another method for installing rom updates different from the first method I mentioned.
This method involves installing rom through stock recovery or custom recovery. But most especially with stock recovery. To use this part, you must rename the rom to update.zip for this method to work. Follow the process below.
How to Install Firmware to Android through recovery.
- For you to flash the rom, you will need your stock recovery.
- Download the firmware to your PC or phone and extract the zip file if there is another zip inside it.
- Inside the zip file, there is another zip file for the firmware.
- Rename the firmware to update.zip or just leave it the way it is.
- Copy the downloaded firmware to the root of your SD card.
- Boot your phone to recovery by powering it off.
- Press Volume Up and power button or press both volume up and down and Power button simultaneously to boot to recovery.
- Choose apply update from SD card.
- Select the Update.zip or the downloaded stock firmware file and the flashing will start.
- Once it finishes, wipe data and reboot your phone.
With the two methods mentioned above, you can flash any firmware that requires the fastboot update or rom update.
If your smartphone is running Qualcomm chipset or MediaTek or SpreadTrum socs and this method didn’t work for you, then you should use the procedure below.
If this method does not work for you, you can try other methods we listed above, probably, one of them might work for you. If you encounter any problem, please do not hesitate to tell us.