No one can deny the importance of reading in our life. It’s not only great fun and entertainment, a source of knowledge and information throughout life. It is also a means of vocabulary and skills development, cognitive, social, and interactive improvement. While reading together with parents or by themselves children experience a range of emotions, cultivate their imagination and creativity.
Thus, the sooner a child falls in love with reading, the earlier and more clearly parents will see the profound benefits of reading for his/her development. Numerous studies confirm the effects of early reading on kids’ later literacy skills, facilitating social interaction between adults and children, and encouraging children to engage with the world around them.
In this article, we’d like with Kids Academy to briefly list some of the benefits that reading can have on children’s development either when they do it by themselves or are read aloud by parents.
– Reading affects and assists children’s cognitive development by providing them with a deep understanding of the world around them, as well as with the improvement of their social skills and interactions. Pay attention to free kids reading worksheets collections like this to improve your child’s visual reading skills.
– Reading develops empathy because books teach children to empathize with characters and their stories as well as understand and realize the nature of emotions.
– Reading broadens the mind. By reading a book, a child learns about people, places, events, different cultures, and traditions that they couldn’t learn otherwise.
– Reading develops, improves, and perfects children’s imagination and creativity.
– Reading aloud with children can help create a love of reading for life. On a regular basis, this mutual activity will undoubtedly develop stronger relationships between parents and children. It provides parents with an extra opportunity to spend time together, on the one hand, and children with feelings of attention and love, on the other hand. In addition, this enjoyable pastime definitely improves parents and children’s bond.
Multiple studies have found a correlation between reading for pleasure and higher academic achievements.
Undoubtedly, reading with children influences their literary skills. It helps stimulate the part of the brain that processes language as well as extend their vocabulary. Daily reading to a child will help them memorize at least two new words a day. Moreover, regular reading together improves a child’s concentration abilities, which will definitely benefit them in their schooling. The more a child is read to, and the more he/she reads themselves, the better they will become at it, and later, they will perform better academically.
Read with children, encourage their desire to read, and this wonderful activity will become the love of their entire life.
For more information and advice you are welcome to check out our KidsAcademy website, where the experts share their experience on children’s education. These free worksheets reading worksheets for kids will help your little learners grow in confidence, increase their reading fluency.